2018-2019 VANDANCE MUSICAL THEATRE PROGRAM
We will continue with the goal of getting our Musical Theatre classes into “Triple Threat” mode offering drama, singing and dance. I feel that we are heading in that direction.
It has become more apparent to me that these students need more exposure to drama, vocal training, movement, to working with a pianist and all sorts of creative works to become well rounded performers. They can then move into other programs beyond our studio walls more freely. Students should be able to go into an audition or even a job interview and be able to carry themselves with confidence.
I’d like to touch on many different areas of the Musical Theatre world this season and I am excited about getting some information out to the students.
Musical Theatre Modules :
We are starting with…
- Sept will be creating month and we will be doing a few different pieces to see what type of piece each class will perform. We may even get to start creating our musical comedy pieces!
- Oct. 17/18, 24/25 will be Drama for Dancers with Uof L and VanDance Graduate Alexa Elser. Alexa is living in Calgary and has taken on a Jubilations dinner theatre role in Edmonton and Calgary. She is excited to come back and share with her home studio!
- Nov. 7/8, 14/15 and Dec 5/6 will be vocals/info on working with a pianist month with the wonderful Brenda Forrest and the lovely Kathryn Zaborsky of New West Theatre.
The students will work together with Vanessa to combine singing, dancing and acting to produce an open large number that the classes will combine and do for festival as one BIG song and dance group. “Production Style”
We are lucky to have Miss Erica on board to work with the students on drama, voice and text in fall as well!
Miss Madi’s week in Lethbridge she will work on Dance Cabaret …get on your heels!!
- January/February/March we will be working to choreograph and clean our festival pieces.
- This year the students will end up with an open large song and dance number and a musical comedy piece.
I am super excited about our year!
Come to class Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday @ 4:45 is Musical Theatre 1 A/B, Wednesday @ 5:30 is Musical Theatre for Pre Primary 2 and Primary ages
Thursday night to finish our week we have Musical Theatre 2/3 at 8:30 and at 9:15 we have Musical Theatre 5-8