Van Dance Studios
Welcome to VanDance Studios. With studio locations all over Southern Alberta, we are excited to help provide a high quality recreational/exam based dance program. We offer classes for all age categories and skill levels, and with our qualified instructors can help you and your children get the most out of their efforts in this beautiful art form. Please take some time to browse our website and blog. We have information available to help you with registration, scheduling, staff bios and qualifications, as well as a few select pictures featuring some of our memories over the last few years. If any questions arise, please use the contact form to let us know, and we will be sure to respond as quickly as possible.
Our Final Week Looks Like this…
Tuesday May 19 and Wed May 20 at the Yates.
See the attached Yates rehearsal schedule.
- Regular dance attire with hair back off face. No costumes for this
- Arrive through the side Yates (Sterndale Bennet) door today.
- No parents at rehearsals please.
- Parents can wait for students in the hallway and will be called in to
escort the students out.
- There is to be NO Running around. Students must stay in the Theatre
(please speak to your children)
- Water only! No food, drinks or snacks allowed inside the theatre.Festival Students MUST return costumes on your first day of rehearsal.
Bring them organized on Name Marked hangers.
Thursday May 21, Friday May 22 and Saturday May 23
It’s Showtime…please read attachment!
Let’s have a great show!!!
VanDance Year End Information Overview for “H20” 2015 Review
May 21, 22 and 23@ 7:30 pm nightly
- All students who participate in classes at VanDance will perform in at least one year end show performance.
- Outstanding Accounts: VanDance studio requires all accounts to be paid up before participation in yearend show is allowed. Dancers have received our services all year; please clear up your fees that are outstanding. In addition, all festival accounts to date (except those participating in Company) Email firstname.lastname@example.org for your balance if you require the correct amount. Accounts must be paid by Wed May 15 Erica will be in the office Wed(13th) of this week clearing up all accounts.
- Tickets are $14 each (+ ticket centre charge of $2/ticket) and Go on sale to the General Public on Tuesday May 5 at all City Ticket Centre box office locations. As these are sold as assigned seats, everyone needs a ticket who is taking up a seat.
- Note that there are no Pre-sales tickets this year. Please get your tickets early to avoid disappointment.
- Some things to remember about tickets: 329-SEAT is how to purchase by phone, enmaxcentre.ca is how to purchase online.
- Shows: On an attached page, there is a detailed sheet which tells you which one of the 3 shows your child is performing in. When you go to purchase tickets, be sure you are purchasing for the correct show.
- Tights/Shoes/Accessories: On an attached form, there is a detailed list of what each student is to supply. Costumes are supplied for all of our female students (as you have paid a $30 costume fee). Tights, shoes and accessories are not supplied and will need to be ready to go for picture day. Male students, if we are providing a costume for you, a $25 costume fee is now due, most will be providing your own, please bring it in for your teacher to see immediately.
- Picture Days: May 6 and 7 at the Lethbridge Studio (click here to download schedule), There was a detailed schedule for pictures and envelopes sent home the week of April 13. Please come into the office to pick them up immediately if you missed class last week. Even if you are not purchasing pictures, you are required to be in the group picture so please show up! These forms need to be turned back in by Thursday April 30. No late returns will be accepted. File into appropriate folders on the table provided in front of the office
Please come looking your best picture ready with hair properly done and light make-up.
- All festival students are required to bring your festival costumes and headpieces on Picture Day and then return costumes to the Yates to be set up in dressing rooms on YOUR YATES REHEARSAL DAY. All headpieces should be returned by the Parent rep in the bag that was provided…then our counts are done! Many students forget them this night and we will send you home to get them as we need to count all costumes and headpieces the evening before the show. EVERYTHING MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR! This is IMPORTANT that it gets done! It is always my biggest fear that someone will not have a costume for yearend show.
- Rehearsal Week (May 19 and 20): We have booked the Yates Theatre for the few days prior to the show in which all classes will be required to attend a mandatory spacing rehearsal and run thru. This rehearsal is extremely important! We will try to stay right on time. Your children are to be dropped off at the side theatre door (STERNDALE BENNETT), you may wait in the hallway for them as they will only be 15 or 20 minutes. We will not release students until a parent is present to pick them up. Do not send them with lots of clothes and items, no food! Only water is allowed in the theatre. See attached schedule for proper times. Do not be late! We need to be punctual for these rehearsals as we are scheduled tightly. Let the teachers have this crucial time with the students. All non- festival classes will get a 10-15 minute Yates time. Festival dances will get a 5 minute run through time as a spacing reminder…MOVE QUICKLY! Absolutely no running around the Yates!!
- Volunteers: Unlike other studios, we do not charge a fee to those parents who don’t help during our show, however, to run a show of this size it takes about 40 volunteers each evening. We ask that you volunteer your time for one of the shows your child is not performing in. This frees you up to see a show that your child performs in. We are always short help and this makes the show stressful for the students and we want this to be a non-stress, fun experience for all! There is a signup sheet now posted and we ask that everyone sign up for one show. Thank you for your attention to this matter. The lists are now posted.
- Show Week: All students must arrive via the Yates backstage door (at the roundabout behind city hall). Volunteers are required to be in the building by 6:30 (NO LATER!) on show nights . Students must arrive between 6:45 and 7:00 show nights . We adhere strictly to these times as we are required to have 200 students dressed and ready for Act 1 at ShowTime…do not be late. Your child may not be dressed and ready for the show if they are late! All students must come with hair and make-up done and with tights (no underwear under tights!) for their first dance. Carry all shoes and additional tights, along with a clean snack in a clearly marked back pack or bag. Try to wear a robe or sundress overtop so it is easy for the dressers to help you. Mark every shoe, every tight, every item they bring with their name, first and last!
- Videos of the entire show will once again be filmed and sold by Cogo Productions. They do a stunning job and this is a great family souvenir. We will not be doing any presales. You may place your order in the lobby of the Yates on show nights/afternoon. Videos are $45.00 and cheques are payable to Cogo Productions. These videos have every group dance from the entire season on them (all shows!).
Festival students we do not change hairstyles at Year End!
- Hair is to be in a high bun, no part for ALL dances (excluding Tiny Tots and Kindertots and Rec Hip Hop)
- Tiny Tot and Kindertot Hair is in a ½ Pony pulled back off the face and Very Curly!! Both Tiny Tots and Kindertots wear hats this year so slick back bangs as well!(Little White Duck and Yellow Submarine)
- Rec Hip Hop Monday class can do a high curly pony tail, no part or bangs. (Wishing Well)
- Tights same as Festival for Festival Students (if unsure, look at vandance.ca for this info)
- All pink, beige and black tights are matte…not shimmer!
- Recreational students, see attached list.
- Be sure tights are clean, and in good condition. No holes or runs! All tight available at Classique Dancewear
- Please no nylons or “pretend” tights. Let’s all match and look fabulous!!
- Shoes same as Festival for Festival Students (if unsure, look at vandance.ca for this info)
- Recreational students see attached list.
- Dark Stage Make Up for everyone. Please follow these steps.
- Start with foundation 1-2 shades darker than skin tone
- deep plum blush, brown shades of eye shadow using lots of white highlighter both above and below the eye
- mascara or false eyelashes(preferred)
- eyeliner (wings) which makes 2 parallel lines one from below the eye, one from corner of the eye and out about 1/4 of an inch
- lip liner and a deep red/deep red lipstick
- Make up should enhance your child’s already beautiful face. It should be done with care.
- Anyone with specialty make up bring makeup remover and a wash cloth!
- Large Rhinestone Ear rings for everyone.
- No jewellery or nail polishes (unless called for as accessories).
- All Patten Tap shoes must have elastics not ribbons.
- Pink Tap Shoes Must be Dyed Black
- Do not go out and buy new shoes of any style for your dances. Post on the website or Facebook what you have for sale and what you need. Also, check the boxes of shoes at the studio.
- No panties under tights.
- No jewellery or nailpolish (unless called for as accessories).
- All black fishnets should be worn with beige matte tights underneath for shine and for comfort.
- Anyone showing midriff in a costume, may buy a full beige body stocking for under it if you wish.
- Any costumes that you are asked to costume yourself, must be brought in advance so they aren’t forgotten. Bring them to Yates rehearsal on Tuesday May 20.
- No dangly earrings but large rhinestone studs for all dances are appropriate unless otherwise specified.
- Yates Rehearsal Day and Time
- What show Your Child Performs in.
- Color coding stands for the dressing room they have been assigned too. These colors do not show on hard copy.
Watch for Next Year’s Registration Information to go out in May. Pre Registration Begins May 20
I have made the decisions on which dances perform in each show based on the students we are missing during year end as well as costume change time. Also, the size of class and age makes a difference as to how many shows they perform in.
I may also need to add several Company dances to other shows for costume change time however it won’t be ALL of their dances.
Grad Solos: (you may choose your solo please give me your cd asap as I like to put it on our show playlist) Because there are so many of you, you will need you will need to choose what show works best for you and co-ordinate what show your families are attending. It is very difficult to have you all dance in one show. Please do as the students have done in the past, be reasonable and decide between yourselves.
Let’s make this year’s show a really fun, organized time for these students! I truly appreciate the time and effort of all the teachers, students, costume ladies and year end parent volunteers.
Thank you in advance!
Types of Dance
We often get questions about what the various types of dance are. To help with some of the inquiries we have prepared a guide which describes the various types of dance. You can access the document by clicking here or by contacting the studio for more information.